Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My original show for 2009 - Dramatic Twerp


After seeing Tim Miller and Holly Hughes this past weekend at Victory Gardens...I continue to be so inspired by the solo performance model - When I turned 40 last year, I vowed to give myself a show to perform as a reward :) With the help of Stephen Murray (director) and Joe Feliciano (actor) I met my goal of a creating a new piece before the year ended... One run at Links Hall in October and another run at Oracle Productions in December. I'm looking forward to one more remount with changes and revisions...completely as a solo piece. Here's what it's about so far:

Dramatic Twerp is like putting David Sedaris, David Cale; Samuel Beckett; your high school acting teacher and a bag of rubber noses in a blender, on purée. In Dramatic Twerp Sean finds himself locked in an absurd high school speech competition as an adult. Set as a solo monologue Dramatic Twerp explores growing up in the 1980s without the internet, cell phones or a gay social club on campus. Sean borrows from the forensic dramatic interpretation model, found text and his own history to create a queer memory journey. The experience of the show is intended to mirror the uncomfortable feeling/dread/duty of a “coming out” conversation. However, it is this never ending cycle, this question of “does the act of coming out ever end?” that drives Sean to find yet another audience of strangers, to experience his loud gay tale.

1 comment:

daisyhead7 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.